Welcome to the online home of The Approval Voting Party.
Colorado voters may affiliate with the Approval Voting Party online with the secretary of state.
In 2020 there will be Approval Voting Party candidates and issues on statewide ballots.
Approval Voting is a voting method were voters may select as many candidates as they would approve of. The candidate receiving the most votes wins the election.
Approval Voting is useful when there are more than two candidates; or multiple choices for a ballot issue.
Approval Voting highlights:
- No vote splitting or spoilers, ever
- Highly resistant to tactical voting
- Significantly less spoiled ballots
- More expressive – Always vote your honest favorite
- All candidates get a more accurate measure of support
- Easy to tally and results are transparent
- Ballots are the same, the number of choices increases
2017 was the last legislative attempt to set rules for Approval Voting in Colorado. The new administration of Secretary of State Jena Griswold has an interest in supporting alternative voting methods, including Approval Voting.
Local election supervisors in counties, cities/towns, and special districts need election rules from their Secretary of State.
Home Rule communities may already use Approval Voting without state rules, but find them valuable.
Use of Approval Voting is strictly voluntary by communities and districts that want to use it.